Class: Redshirt Senior
Hometown: Kansas City, MO
High School: Park Hill
Major: Health Sciences
• 2013 NCAA All-American (4th-place, 125-pounds)
• 2013 MAC Champion (125-pounds)
• 2012 NCAA Nationals Qualifier (125-pounds)
• 2012 Big 12 Champion (125-pounds)
• 2011 NCAA Nationals Qualifier (125-pounds)
• Took a redshirt for the season.
• Defeated Garth Yenter of Michigan State at the UNI Open.
• For the third year in a row, Waters held the starting spot at 125 pounds, competing in two tournaments for the Tigers and appearing at his third NCAA Championships.
• Placed first at the Joe Parisi Open after defeating Jarrod Patterson (Okla.) in the finals.
• Took another first-place finish at the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational where he defeated Ohio State’s No. 11 Nikko Triggas and Cornell’s No. 10 Nahshon Garrett.
• At the NWCA Cliff Keen National Duals, Waters defeated all five of his opponents including Oklahoma State’s Eddie Klimara and Iowa’s No. 1-ranked wrestler, Matt McDonough.
• Appeared at Mizzou’s first MAC Championship and took first place in the 125-pound weight class with three-straight wins. He earned an automatic bid to Nationals with his first-place finish.
• Waters was undefeated on the season all the way through his fourth match of Nationals where his second tie-breaker-period loss against No. 4 Nico Megaludis (Penn. State) snapped the 32-win streak.
• Went 4-2 overall at Nationals for a fourth-place finish and All-American status honors, ending the season with a record of 33-2.
• Waters made his way into Missouri’s 100 Win Club with his win over No. 8 Matthew Snyder (Virginia) at Nationals.
• Picked up the MAC Wrestler of the Week award for the week of Feb. 20.
• Was named a NWCA Academic All-American.
• Held the starting spot on the lineup at 125 pounds.
• Placed first at the Kaufman-Brand Open, defeating Missouri’s Boomer Boyd in the finals by technical fall, 22-6 (5:55).
• Waters finished in second place at the Southern Scuffle, defeating No. 7 Frank Perrelli (Cornell) before losing to No. 1 Zach Sanders (Minnesota) by a narrow 1-0 decision, breaking his 13 match winning streak.
• Went 15-1 in duals with ranked wins over No. 2/4 Nic Bedelyon (Kent State), No. 10/12 Ryak Finch (Iowa State), No. 19 Trent Sprinkle (North Dakota State), No. 13 Jon Morrison (Oklahoma State) and No. 8 Jarrod Patterson (Oklahoma).
• Represented the Tigers at the Big 12 Championships where he took first place (defeated Morrison and Patterson yet again), earning an automatic qualification to the 2012 NCAA National Championships. His win helped the Tigers to their first Big 12 Conference Championship.
• Went 3-2 in his matches at Nationals including a win over No. 11 Matthew Snyder (Virginia).
• Waters finished the season with 29 wins and only four losses. Twelve of his wins were by either a technical fall or a pin.
• Was picked as the Big 12 Wrestler of the Week three times this season – the weeks of Dec. 12, Jan. 16, and Feb. 6.
• Named the Most Outstanding Wrestler program award as well as being named to the Academic All-Big 12.
• Competed as a true freshman on the Tiger lineup at 125 pounds, competing in an additional three tournaments and made his first appearance at the NCAA National Championships.
• His first collegiate win came against Paul Myers (SIUE) at the Lindenwood Open. Waters followed with four more wins to take the title at 125 pounds.
• Competed in his first dual as a Tiger against Illinois where he defeated Logan Artis by decision, 8-3.
• Took first place at the UCM Open with his first four wins coming via pin.
• Won 24 straight matches before losing to Ryan Mango (Stanford) at the Midlands competition in late December.
• Represented Mizzou at the Big 12 Championships, taking third place overall with wins over
• Brandon Jones (Iowa State) and Jon Morrison (Oklahoma State). His finish granted him an automatic qualification to Nationals.
• Went 1-2 in his matches at Nationals to finish his season with a record of 39-7.
• Of his 39 wins, 11 were by fall and another five were by either major decision or technical fall.
• Waters went 20-3 in duals in his first season on the team and picked up the Marshall
• Esteppe Most Outstanding Freshman program award.
• Finished in third place at the 2011 ASICS FILA Junior Nationals at 125 pounds.
PARK HILL HIGH SCHOOL (KANSAS CITY, MO.)
• Won state title all four years of high school.
• Helped lead his team to back-to-back state championships in 2009 and 2010.
• Had a perfect 47-0 senior season, helping him end with a career record of 182-4.
• On the national level, was crowned national champion in both freestyle and Greco at the 2007 Fargo Wrestling Nationals.
• In 2008, finished fifth in freestyle and second in Greco at nationals, and finished third in both style in 2009.
• Was also a four-time KCU Champion in high school.
• Alan Waters was born on Nov. 6, 1991 to Kent and Valerie Waters in Kansas City, Mo.
• Both of his parents are teachers.
• His father attended Northwest Missouri State, while his mother graduated from Missouri Western.
• Has one older brother, Robb.